Hoyt Bedford - Stamford, CT
Buchanan Architects, LLC
90 Crown Street, New Haven CT, 06510
Tel: (203) 787-4896 Fax: (203) 787-2660
This is a proposed housing development plan for a site in Stamford, CT.
For a nearly 400-unit reorganization of six identical mid-rise buildings, the
owner suggested a series of specific proposals to enhance the rental value
of the project. With each suggestion, we altered the typical building
design, and were pleased when the resultant schemes strengthened the
overall design of the project. (and the cost!)
1. The first request was to reorient the interior plans of units designed
over 40 years ago, swapping kitchen and living room locations to create a
more acceptable floor plan.
2. Request number two was to add balconies to every unit, with new
sliding doors for access to the outside and improved day-lighting in the unit.
3. Request number three was to add a sixth floor on top of the building,
due to an original miscount in the total allowable number of units on the
site. Horizontal expression was intended to improve building expression
and increase financial return.
4. Add mezzanine above 6th Floor for added revenue. Horizontal roof line
improves overall elevation and should increase unit sizes and rental
5. Create underground parking to satisfy occupant needs despite
extremely high cost.
6. Build a 24,000 s.f. amenity - fitness room, rooftop swimming pool,
games room and social center.
7. Expected return in income failed to offset the construction costs of the